Monday, July 12, 2010


It was getting hotter by the day in Valdosta, and my parents were in a place where the high is in the 70's during the day, and it is just cool enough but not to cold to leave the windows opened at night.  So we did the only logical thing I could think of.  I packed up and the girls and I headed north for Highlands, North Carolina.  (Just before putting the luggage in the car, I realized they were all pink♥)
It was the first time I had driven long distance with them by myself, and it went off without a hitch.  We only had to stop twice.  Once to eat lunch, and the other time because I missed my exit and I needed directions.  When I turned right onto the road that winds up the mountain I simultaneously watched my car thermostat slowly drop, and reached in the back to scratch Sophie's leg so she would not feel queasy.  (anytime something hurts her or she doesn't feel good she always asks me or Mabry to scratch her back, or tummy, or whatever body part has the ailment).  We pulled up to their house around 5 o'clock.  Mama and daddy were invited to a party to celebrate the opening of Scudder's, an antique auction that is open through the summer and part of the fall.  This turned out to be a good thing, because we were exhausted from traveling and were able to relax and unwind before the mountain excitement began.  We started the next morning off with pancakes, bacon and coffee on the porch overlooking the mountains.  We all had on our pink pj's!
After breakfast I put Maddie down for her nap, and Sophie and I went to Dry Falls with Daddy.  Here she is with her Giddy walking down to the waterfall.
We stopped to check out a cave on the way down.
We filled the rest of the week with lots of porch time watching the hummingbirds and Sophie painting with Giddy.

Sophie got in a lot of story time, while Maddie was a perfect little angel going to bed early and sleeping soundly in a new and strange place for her.
Mimi was very sweet to keep Maddie at home so Sophie and I could go with Giddy to Sunset Rock and watch a beautiful sunset.  We got there a little too early for a two year old.  I made a mental not to myself, that the next time I take at 2 1/2 year old on top of a mountain, I better not plan on staying too long.  They get a little restless, and don't want to sit still.  I was a nervous wreck.
She gave me this look when I told her to sit her bottom on the ground and don't move again.  At one point, I tried to explain to her that if she fell off the mountain it would  be "bye, bye Sophie".  In which she replied, "Mama, I want to go see bye, bye Sophie."
We got to see the sunset!
Mimi and the girls after breakfast one morning.

We had a great time, and I can't wait to go back with Mabry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the picture of you holding sophie at almost dark......the outline of your face is your daddy made over!!! that is so neat! i dont know why but everytime i read your dern blog and see the girls pictures all i do is cry the whole time. then i start laughing at myself because i know its just b/c i love you and i am so proud of you! love you. christy